Q1. (a) Define Project. What are the characteristics of a project?
(b) How does a project differ from regular production?
Q2. What are the phases associated with the life of a project? Highlight the key points of each phase.
Q3. (a) What are the responsibilities and skills required by a project manager?
(b) Discuss various project organizations with suitable examples.
Q4. (a) What is the mean by network analysis? Explain the rules for drawing a network.
(b) What are the techniques for project scheduling and monitoring?
Q5. (a) What is meant by work break down structure?
(b) What is resource loading, resource leveling and resource smoothing?
Q6. (a) What is a pre-feasibility and feasibility report?
(b) Detailed Project Report (DPR) forms the foundation on which the entire project is built. Discuss various elements to be included in a DPR for the success of a project.
Q7. Discuss various software used for project scheduling and monitoring. Discuss the inputs and
output of each one of them.
Q8. Write short notes
(a) Scope creep
(b) Earned value analysis
(c) Project appraisal
(d) Linear Responsibility chart
Case Study: Please read the case study given below and answer questions given at the end.
(a) A project details are given below.
Activity Predecessor Normal Time
(Days) Crash Time
Cost Rs. Crash
A – 3 2 8000 14000
B – 2 1 12000 19000
C A 5 3 20000 28000
D B 5 3 15000 23000
E C,D 6 4 18000 28000
F C,D 2 1 6000 10000
G F 2 1 5000 10000
i) Draw the network diagram
ii) Find the paths and identify the critical path
iii) Find the duration of the project
iv) Calculate the cost slope for each of the activities
v) What is the total project cost using the normal times?
(b) Various activities involved in a project is given below
Predecessors Optimistic Time duration in days
Most Likely Pessimistic
A – 6 8 22
B A 40 60 80
C A 12 21 24
D A 20 30 40
E B 10 15 20
F C & E 1 / 2 1 3 / 2
G D & E 8 10 12
H F & G 4 5 6
i) Draw the appropriate PERT network
ii) Identify the critical path and project duration
iii) Calculate the earliest start time, earliest finish time, latest start time, latest finish time, and slack of each of the activities.
iv) What is the Probability of completing the project in 120 days?
- Project A has an internal rate of return (IRR) of 21 percent. Project B has an IRR of 7
Project C has an IRR of 31 percent. Project D has an IRR of ig percent. Which of these would be the BEST project?
- When checking the calendar of a team member to schedule a meeting, you see she has scheduled a meeting with a key stakeholder that you were not informed of. The best approach would be to
- The program evaluation and review technique (PERT) method of scheduling differs from the critical path method (CPM) because the PERT method:
- A project manager would like to manage his project in such a way that he will be able to identify specific tasks that should be watched and managed more closely than others. The project manager should use which method?
- The act of doing anything that will help to bring future project performance into line with the project plan is called
- A project manager is using a cause and effect diagram with the team to determine how various factors might be linked to potential problems. In what part of the quality management process is the project manager involved?
- In, ____________we see whether return or benefits on this investment are more than its cost from point of view of society in which we are living
- Resource leveling will generally
- If all planned work has been completed or earned,What is the schedule variance?
- A project whose acceptance does not prevent or require the acceptance of one or more alternative projects is referred to as __________
- When operating under a single-period capital-rationing constraint, you may first want to try selecting projects by descending order of their __________ in order to give yourself the best chance to select the mix of projects that adds most to firm value.
- Which of the following statements is correct regarding the internal rate of return (IRR) method?
- Which of the following is not a potential for a ranking problem between two mutually exclusive projects?
- The three phases involved in the management of large projects are
- With respect to PERT and CPM, slack
- A dummy activity is required when
- Which of the following is a basic assumption of PERT?
- PERT analysis computes the variance of the total project completion time as
- Which of the following managers develop operational plans for the project?
- Which of the following is a direct responsibility of the project manager?
- Which of the following is the benefit of the network analysis approach?
- A project can be considered to have failed if it
- Which of the following is not a reason to reduce project completion time?
- Which of the following is especially useful for monitoring project progress against plan?
- An individual with a diverse set of skills–management, leadership, technical, conflict management, and customer relationship–who is responsible for initiating, planning, executing, and closing down a project best defines:
- Identifying, assessing, and managing the risks and day-to-day changes that occur during a project best defines which of the following project manager activities?
- Optimistic time refers to
- Which of the following is not a true statement regarding Network diagrams?
- An example of a project management system is
- Which of the following slack times indicates that an activity is on the critical path?
- A project manager that dictates all decisions and does not allow for any participation by the workers would be using which leadership style.
- The shortest time necessary to complete all of the activities in a network is called the:
- The first step in the development of a schedule is a:
- The calculation of the total cost of a product, from R&D to operational support and disposal, is called:
- Which is the first stage in the project management model?
- Successful project management does NOT include which of the following factors?
- A critical path network diagram does not:
- Which of the following statements gives the Technical definition of Project Planning?
- Which of the following is the responsibility of proposed project manager?
- The main purpose of a _______________ is to function as a blueprint for the group’s business operations.
1. Which of the following is not an objective of project management?
a) Achieve specified performance
b) Complete on Schedule
c) Complete within the budgeted cost
d) Eliminate complexities and risks
2. Project are characterized by all of the following except.
a) Continuous activities
b) Unique elements
c) Complex interdependencies
d) Environment of conflict
3. Which of the following is not a phase in a project life cycle?
a) Start up
b) Building phase
c) Control phase
4. All the work that needs to be done to attain a project objectives is
5. Document issued by senior management that formally authorizes the existence of a project.
a) Project charter
b) Work breakdown Structure
c) Vision document
d) Work authorization letter
6. Which of the following does not clearly indicate the qualities of a project manager.
a) Project manager must be able to define how success or failure of a project is determined
b) Project manager should build and maintain a good communication network
c) Project manager should be rigid
d) Project manager must have sufficient experience in handling projects
7. A Greenfield project means.
a) A project that is started from scratch
b) An environment friendly project
c) A Project that produces green products
d) A Project that is completed at a cost less than the budgeted cost
8. Which of the following is not a demand on the Project manager
a) Acquiring and motivating team members
c) Taking & rigid stand in goals
d) Dealing with obstacles
9. All the skills requirements of a Project Manager except
a) Technical skills
b) Communication skills
c) Cultural skills
d) Interpersonal skills
10. Which of the following is not a correct observation regarding a functional manager and project manager
a) A Functional manager uses analytical approach whereas a project manager uses systemic approach
b) A Functional manger is a technological supervisor whereas a project manager is a facilitator.
c) A Functional manger is a generalist whereas a project manager is a specialist
d) The communication requirements of a project manager are comparatively greater than that of a functional manager.
11. Which one of the following is not a disadvantage of a functional approach to project organization?
a) Client gets the least focus or concern
b) Orientation towards the activities of the function
c) Motivation of the people assigned to the project tends to be very high
d) There won’t be a single person in charge of the except
12. A Project organization is characterized by all except
a) A project manager has full line Authority over the project
b) The level of commitment from the members is high
c) A pure project organization is structurally complex
d) Unit of command exists in a pure project organization
13. All are the advantages of a matrix organization except
a) In a matrix organization PM is the centre of authority
b) The project can draw require expertise from functional areas
c) In a matrix organization the project gets full focus
d) The response to client needs is highly rapid
14. All the major behavior problems facing a project manager except
15. A project would find team development the most difficult in
a) Project organization
b) Functional organization
c) Matrix organization
d) Flat organization
16. What a project manager should do to set clear boundaries for a project completion
a) WBS is a tree structure that shows a sub
b) Work breakdown structure
c) Liner responsibility chart
d) Create risk register
17. All of the following are characteristics of a Work breakdown structure (WBS) except
a) WBS is a tree structure that shows a sub division of efforts require to achieve an objective
b) WBS is developed by starting with the end objective
c) WBS express the scope of a project in graphical from
d) WBS incorporates the time/schedule of each of the activities
18. The lowest element in a Work Breakdown structure is
a) Work package
19. A Liner Responsibilities chart has all the following except
a) Shows who is responsible for what
b) Shows critical interfaces between units that needs special coordination
c) It shows who must approve what and who must report to whom
d) Provides the cost and schedule of each of the task
20. If you are allowed to choose only one tool to manage a project which one would you choose
a) Work Breakdown structure
b) Gantt chart
c) Resource Chart
d) Risk register
21 All are the traditional categories of conflict in a project except
a) Cost based
22. Which of the following is not a source of conflict?
a) The project team itself
b) The client
c) The remuneration
d) Senior management
23. All are points of ‘Principled negotiation’ except
a) Focus on the people rather than the problem
b) Focus on interests not positions
c) Identify options for mutual gains before trying to reach an agreement
d) Use objective criteria
24. Scheduling and technical conflicts are more frequent during
a) Start up phase
b) Build up phase
c) Maturity Phase
d) Termination Phase
25. All are critical issues handled in a project formulation phase except
a) Specifying the technical objectives
b) Committing the resource for the project
c) Deciding the number of vendors that will take part in the tendering process
d) Selecting the project organization structure
26. Which of the following is not related to scope creep?
a) Occurs at the planning stage of the project
b) Happens due to poor change control
c) May occur due to lack proper definition at the initial stage
d) May occur due to strong customer requirements
27. A budgeting method that begins with those who will be doing the tasks is called
a) Top sown budgeting
b) Bottom up budgeting
c) Program budgeting
d) Zero budgeting
28. All are project control tools except
a) Trend Projection tools except
b) Peer review
c) Critical ratios
d) Control chart
29. A Standard for performance, established at the beginning of the project for later comparison is
30. An uncertain event or condition that if it occurs has a positive or negative effect on project objectives is
31. An analysis carried out to estimate the potential size of the market for the product is
a) Market and demand analysis
b) Technical analysis
c) Financial analysis
d) Process analysis
32. Technical analysis for a project is concerned with all of the following except
a) Manufacturing process
b) Composition of the product market
c) Plant capacity
d) Material input and utilities
33. The case flows occurring at the end of a project life on account of project liquidation is
a) Initial investment
b) Operating cash inflows
c) Terminal cash inflows
34. To assess the risk of a project which of the following may not be useful?
a) Sensitivity analysis
b) Scenario analysis
c) Monte Carlo simulation
d) Network analysis
35. The network that combines signal flow graph theory, probabilistic networks and decision trees is
d) Gantt chart
36. Which of the following is not a characteristic of PERT chart?
a) Uses three time estimates
c) Activity crashing possible
d) Can be best used for research project
37. All are related to Activity on arrow (AOA) network except
a) Activities are shown on the arrow whereas the two ends of the activity represent the start and finish nodes.
b) Dummy activities are used to represent two activities having the same start and finish nodes.
c) Looping is allowed in AOA network
d) Strictly follows precedence relationship of activities.
38. An earned value chart does not show
a) Scheduled progress
b) Actual work
c) Actual cost
39. The process of allocating the required number of resources to each of the activity is know as
a) Resource Loading
b) Resource Leveling
c) Resource Smoothing
d) Resource Matching
40. Who should be involved in the creation of lessons learned, at the closure of a project?
a) Project team.
b) Management of the performing organization.
c) Project vendors.
d) Sake holders.
Contact www.kimsharma.co.in for best and lowest cost solution or
Call: 0 +91 82907-72200 (Call/WhatsApp) or +91 88003-52777 (WhatsApp Only)
One thought on “Amity MBA 4th Sem ASODL Project Management”
Need solved assigment of Amity MBA 4th Sem ASODL Project Management