Amity MBA Assignment A
Q1 “360 degree appraisal method has its own short-comings”. Discuss. Also point out the merits of this method.
Q2 Enlist the modern methods of performance appraisal. Which of these do you prefer the most and why? Give reasons.
Q3 Discuss, in brief, the role of coaching and counseling in improving performance of employees.
Q4. How can the relationship between ‘performance’ and ‘pay’ be instrumental in improving performance in an organization?
Q5. Distinguish between ‘Performance Appraisal’ and “Potential Evaluation”. Also discuss, in brief, the methods of Potential evaluation.
Q6. What precautions should be taken while designing performance appraisal system so that it may serve the desired purpose? Discuss in detail.
Q7. “No performance appraisal method will serve the desired purpose until and unless it is followed by post-review discussion” Discuss.
Q8. Write short notes on any three of the following:
a) Emerging issues in performance management
b) Competency Mapping.
c) HRD and performance appraisal.
d) Role Clarity.
Amity MBA Assignment B
PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL AT KALYANI ELECTRONICS CORPORATION
Kalyani Electronics Corporation Ltd., recently diversified its activities and started producing computers. It employed personnel at the lower level and middle level. It has received several applications for the post of Commercial Manager-Computer Division. It could not decide upon the suitability of the candidates to the position, but did find that Mr. Prakash is more qualified for the position than other candidates. The Corporation has created a new post below the cadre of General Manager i.e. Joint General Manager and asked Mr. Prakash to join the Corporation as Joint General Manager. Mr. Prakash agreed to it viewing that he will be considered for General Manager’s position based on his performance. Mr. Anand, the Deputy General Manager of the Corporation and one of the candidates of General Manager’s position was annoyed with the management’s practice. But, he wanted to show his performance record to the management at the next appraisal meeting. The management of the Corporation asked Mr. Sastry, General Manager of Televisions Division to be the General Manager in-charge of Computer Division for some time, until a new General Manager is appointed. Mr. Sastry wanted to switch over to Computer Division in view of the prospects, prestige and recognition of the position among the top management of the Corporation. He viewed this assignment as a chance to prove his performance.
The Corporation has the system of appraisal of the superior’s performance by the subordinates. The performance of the Deputy General Manager, Joint General Manager and General Manager has to be appraised by the same group of the subordinates. Mr. Anand and Mr. Sastry know very well about the system and its operation, whereas Mr. Prakash is a stranger to the system as well as its modus operandi. Mr. Sastry and Mr. Anand were competing with each other in convincing their subordinates about their performance and used all sorts of techniques for pleasing them like promising them a wage hike, transfers to the job of their interest, promotion, etc. However, these two officers functioned in collaboration with a view to pull down Mr. Prakash. They openly told their subordinates that a stranger should not occupy the ‘chair’. They created several groups among employees like pro-Anand’s group, pro-Sastry group, Anti-Prakash and Sastry group, Anti-Anand and Prakash group.
Mr. Prakash has been watching the proceedings calmly and keeping the top management in touch with all these developments. However, Mr. Prakash has been quite work-conscious and top management found his performance under such a political atmosphere to be satisfactory. Prakash’s pleasing manners and way of maintaining human relations with different levels of employees did, however, prevent the emergence of an anti-Prakash wave in the company. But in view of the political atmosphere within the company, there is no strong pro-Prakash’s group either.
Management administered the performance appraisal technique and the subordinates appraised the performance of all these managers. In the end, surprisingly, the workers assigned the following overall scores. Prakash: 560 points; Sastry: 420 points; and Anand: 260 points.
Q1. How do you evaluate the worker’s appraisal in this case?
Q2. Do you suggest any techniques to avert politics creeping into the process of performance appraisal by subordinates? Or do you suggest the measure of dispensing with such appraisal systems?
Amity MBA Assignment C
1. Which of the following is not the aim of performance appraisal?
2. Which of the following is not a traditional and highly scientific method of performance appraisal?
3. Which of the following is not one of the modern methods of performance appraisal?
4. In the paired comparison technique of performance appraisal, which of the following formulae is applied ?
5. Which of the following statements regarding MBO is not true?
6. 360 Degree Technique does not evaluate the manager’s quality of interaction with:
7. 360 Degree Technique does not play any important role in:
8. Which of the following statement about 360 degree technique is not true?
9. Which of the following is not one of the steps in the process of constructing BARS?
10. Which of the following is not a modern method of performance appraisal?
11. Which of the following is not one of the limitations and constraints of performance appraisal?
12. Which of the following is not one of the distortions involved in performance evaluation?
13. Which of the following is not a method of potential evaluation?
14. Which of the following is not included in the 2×2 matrix used in Philips’ Hi-Lo Model of potential evaluation?
15. Which of the following four qualities is generally not included while preparing 5-point scale for potential evaluation in Philips NV Holland Model?
16. Which of the following is not considered as one of the best practices of potential evaluation?
17. As per Mihir, K Basu’s Survey, the appraisal system for managerial personnel in the Tata Iron & Steel Company (TISCO ) was introduced in :
18. Which of the following factors does not influence the measurement of work performance?
19. Which of the following statements is false?
20. Which of the following statements is correct?
21. Which of the following is not the major issue in performance appraisal?
22. The basis for performance standard
23. Performance appraisals serve as building blocks of:
24. Which of the following is a future-oriented appraisal technique?
25. Which of the following technique is least susceptible to personal bias?
26. A disadvantage of rating scale is :
27. Which of the following is not the typical Rater error?
28. Which step of the following should not be involved in the review of performance appraisal?
29. Which, according to N.F.R. Maier, of the following is not included in the seven accomplishments of good counseling?
30. Which of the following is not one of the key elements of performance appraisal which can be achieved through an effective appraisal discussion?
31. Which of the following is not one of the main sub-processes of counseling?
32. Which of the following is not involved in ‘Communication’?
33. Which of the following is not included in ‘influencing’?
34. Which of the following is not involved in ‘helping’?
35. Which of the following is not one of the key aspects of conducting Appraisal Discussion?
36. Which of the following is not one of the three distinct aspects which can be identified in ‘Action Planning’?
37. Which of the following is not one of the steps essential for development and introduction of performance appraised system?
38. Which of the following is not the purpose of self-appraisal?
39. Which is not the advantage of 360 degree appraisal?
40. Which of the following is not the new performance measure that Godrej & Boyce has identified?
Contact www.kimsharma.co.in for best and lowest cost solution or
Call: +91 82907-72200 (Call/WhatsApp) or +91 88003-52777 (WhatsApp Only)